Spay and Neuter Veterinarian Services in Bonita Springs, FL
When you get a puppy or kitten, there are so many important things to put on your new pet to-do list, not the least of which is putting aside plenty of time to play and cuddle! Another important thing you can do for your animal is to schedule a spay or neuter procedure. This common veterinary procedure is beneficial in so many ways, and we provide hundreds of them every year at Animal Wellness Center of Bonita Springs, FL.
How Spay and Neuter Surgeries Work
Spaying (in females) and neutering (in males) are surgical sterilization procedures that will keep your pet from being able to produce offspring. Depending on your pet's age, breed, and health status (e.g., whether or not a female animal is in heat), it can take anywhere from just a few minutes (for male cats) to ninety minutes (for female dogs).
During spay and neuter surgeries, your pets are put under general anesthesia for their comfort and safety. Our experienced Bonita Springs veterinarian team makes a few small incisions in your pet's lower abdomen and removes the reproductive sex organs (ovaries, fallopian tubes, and uterus in female pets, and testes in male pets).
5 Things to Know about Spay and Neuter Surgeries
Check out these surprising facts (and helpful things to know) about spay and neuter surgeries:
- Spaying and neutering prevents unwanted pet pregnancies, which cuts down on the heartbreaking problem of pet overpopulation in this country. There are already a surprising number of cats and dogs (in the millions!) who are sent to animal shelters annually.
- Spaying and neutering can reduce the risk of certain health and behavioral problems in your animals and may even increase their lifespans!
- Spaying and neutering can save you money in the long run, by helping you avoid the cost of pregnancy and whelping.
- Healthy puppies and kittens as young as eight weeks old can be safely spayed or neutered, although the procedure is typically done when pets are around six months old.
- The risks involved with spay and neuter surgeries are very few, and recovery is generally quick. We teach all our pet parents how to care for their animals after their procedures and let them know what issues to look out for and how to keep the incisions clean and dry.
Need to Schedule a Veterinary Visit for Your Pet's Spay or Neuter?
Call (239) 405-8387 to connect with our Bonita Springs veterinary team at Animal Wellness Center of Bonita and schedule your pet's spay or neuter today.